Use the code TryPB and save $7 on your first PB Protein Powder order.
- 4 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Pinch of salt (if using unsalted peanut butter)
- Cacao nibs or Buckwheat groats, toasted (both are optional)
- 4 tbsp PB protein powder
- 20 dates
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup / 100 g rolled oats
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- A good pinch of salt
- Hemp seeds, coconut flakes or cacao nibs
Here's how you do it
Note: You can either make these as bars or smaller bites. They are shaped like bars in the photo but since then we have started making smaller sizes which we actually prefer since they are quite rich and we get twice as many.
Making the bites
- Place peanut butter, coconut oil, salt and cacao nibs or buckwheat in a food processor and blend so you get a nut butter with a bit of crunch.
- Transfer the nut butter to a small bowl and set aside.
- Without cleaning the blender, add the ingredients for the bites/bars and blitz together for a couple of minutes. It should have a dough like consistency and be easy to roll into a ball.
- Separate 1/3 of the mix and place between two sheets of greaseproof paper. Roll it out so it is approximately 1/2 cm thick and place in the fridge to slightly firm up. This will be our lids.
- Meanwhile, shape the bites/bars into little rectangles with an indent in them (they should look like little coffins). The way we do this is by rolling the dough into 16 little balls (if making bites). Then press your index finger into the ball to make an indent for the filling while shaping it into a more rectangular shape. If you make larger bars you simple divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape them into bars and press your finger into them to create an indent.
- Place on a tray lined with greaseproof paper and shape the rest of the mix. You should get 16 bites (or 8 bars) out of the mix.
- Fill the bites with the peanut butter mix.
- Cut rectangles out of the rolled dough that is slightly bigger than the bite in size and carefully place on top of the bite. Use the overhang to gently press the edges in so they shape around the bite.
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds, cacao nibs or flaked coconut and place in the fridge or freezer to firm up. They can be a little tender at first but will quickly firm up when chilled.
- When they are firm, wrap them in sandwich paper and store in the freezer until it's ready for your gym bag.