Looking for a healthy treat to serve for Halloween? Or maybe you're just in the mood for some mouthwatering spicy autumn flavors? Well then you have to try this!
Sweet Spiced Pumpkin Bread
Makes 1 loaf
Wet ingredients300 g / 300 ml / 1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree (*or 1 butternut squash / pumpkin see cooking instructions)
10 fresh soft dates, pitted
125 ml / 1/2 cup olive oil
3 eggs *see note for a vegan option
4 tbsp coconut sugar
Dry ingredients100 g / 1 cup rolled oats (mixed into a flour)
60 g / 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
50 g / 4 scoops PB Pea Protein Booster Powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground clove
1 tsp freshly grated ginger or ½ tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp sea salt
½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Making the cake
1. Set the oven to 180°C/350°F.
2. Place the pumpkin puree in the food processor along with the rest of the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
3. Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine.
4. Pour the wet mixture into the bowl with dry ingredients and gently combine.
5. Place baking paper in a rectangular bread dish or baking dish or grease it with oil.
6. Pour the batter into the dish and bake on the middle rack for 45 minutes. The cake is ready if an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
7. Let cool on a wire cooling rack.
*Instructions for cooking Pumpkin puree
Set the oven to 180°C/350°F.
Divide the butternut pumpkin in half and place in the oven – cut side down.
Let roast for 30 minutes or until the flesh is soft.
Measure out 300 g / 300 ml / 1 1/4 cup of pumpkin flesh and blend until completely smooth. It's roughly one half pumpkin (save the rest in a jar and add to sandwiches, pasta or smoothies. Or simply make one more Pumpkin Bread).
For a delicious vegan option simply omit the egg and use aquafaba. Once you have combined the wet and dry mixes (step 4) pour the liquid from one tin of cooked chickpeas into a large clean bowl. Use an electric hand whisk to beat the liquid until you have stiff peaks. Gently fold this through the cake mixture and continue with step 5.